A few minutes ago, I handed a letter of resignation to my manager. When all is said and done a month or so from now, I’ll have spent three years here, working on IBM’s Java Just-In-Time compiler.
Having spent much of my undergraduate and graduate education on some very technical concepts in computer engineering, it was natural for me to work here, applying my skills to an enterprise platform, targeted at obtaining performance in the execution of commercial software.
However, it has been some time since I realized that this was not my ideal placement. I’m not satisfied only with having interesting technical problems to solve. I don’t get enough motivation out of squeezing a few percentage points of performance gain from benchmark applications. I don’t get enough satisfaction working on a product several software layers away from the user’s experience. I don’t want to sit in a cubicle all day.
I want an open-concept office, a more sociable atmosphere and a hand in developing a product that is closer to its users. I don’t know if Missing e spoiled me in this way, but mostly I want to work on something that, at the end of the day, I can point out to a friend or family member and say "look what I did".
I’ve had many really neat opportunities at IBM and got to play with some bleeding-edge processor technology. I’ve met some really intelligent people and worked with a great world-wide team. I’ve gained skills and experience that can be widely applied.
After I take some time to finish up the last bits of my Master’s thesis, I think it will be time to dive into something new and exciting.
Know someone that might want to hire me?
98 Notes/ Hide
- naveenc likes this
- ridingtohellinahandbasket likes this
- rangt likes this
- guest008 likes this
- sinnum likes this
- cwj likes this
- bluebuzz likes this
- soulsistrin likes this
- mouthyashell likes this
- desertnur5e likes this
- max793 likes this
- chronicallycurious likes this
- aesho likes this
- scottswords likes this
- cherokeepurple likes this
- thefredasaurusrex said: maybe Tumblr will hire you. but then again I don’t think they’re in the business of making their site better and hiring competent people.
- thefredasaurusrex likes this
- ursineknight reblogged this from autosage
- onwingslikeseagulls likes this
- davesnothere likes this
- anindependentguinevere likes this
- meklarian likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- donthenerd likes this
- tarpo likes this
- papermariothousandyeardoor likes this
- mathcat345 likes this
- dickensnyc likes this
- scarran likes this
- bourbonismycopilot likes this
- fuckestuppest said: Tumblr should hire you.
- velvet-sinz likes this
- theresnothingtoseehere likes this
- autosage reblogged this from cutlerish
- antipelargous likes this
- notyouraverageharlot likes this
- totallycoty likes this
- ch8rming likes this
- livinlifedaily said: Good luck on whatever you decide to do or go.
- morrowplanet likes this
- lglights-is-hiding said: I saw that Kickstarter put a few jobs up this morning. Don’t know if they’re up your alley or not, but it’s work a look.
- livinlifedaily likes this
- rosiedoestumblr reblogged this from cutlerish and added:
- indianaminute likes this
- devilishmess likes this
- goodbeermusicandbaseball likes this
- dontgrowuptoofast likes this
- onetenthpolarbear said: Let’s start a business!
- perfectryoji likes this
- vi001101106 likes this